A captive beluga whale could mimic human speech, a study has revealed. The beluga named NOC started copying the voices of his handlers in 1984 and managed to lower his vocalisations several octaves to produce garbled phrases. There have been other similar reports of belugas ‘talking’ in captivity and the wild.
- NOC, the Beluga Whale That Talked Like A Human (newsy.com)
- ‘Who told me to get out?’: Beluga whale mimics human speech (theage.com.au)
- Beluga Whale Mimics Human Voice (huffingtonpost.com)
- Male Beluga Whale Mimics Human Voice (livescience.com)
- Captive Beluga Whale Imitated Human Voices (scientificamerican.com)