In July of last year, researchers in France described a rather disturbing example of what could happen if you’re not careful about cleaning your contact lenses. A 17-year-old patient had been wearing monthly lenses well past their expiration date, and rinsing them with a cleaning solution she’d diluted with tap water. The end result was an eye infection. Luckily, a bit of care managed to clear it up.
- Contact lens solution hosts giant virus, ecosystem of parasites (arstechnica.com)
- Woman with eye infection had an entire microbial ecosystem in her contact lens solution [Biology] (io9.com)
- Top Safety Tips for Contact Lens Wearers (everydayhealth.com)